Generation 1: Chapter 4



Where do I begin?

It seems like forever since I last wrote in here.

Well, for starters, I'm married now.

Crazy, right?


Is it bad for me to say that my favorite thing about being married is that it means that I never have to plan a wedding again?

Because man...that was an ordeal.

I mean, you never really think about it like that when you're a little kid. It's all fancy dresses and big cakes and flowers...

But in reality someone has to choose that fancy dress (and pay for it). Someone has to bake that big cake. And someone has to pick out those flowers. (Seriously. How are there that many different colors of roses?)

Not to mention the issue of the guest list...


Arthur and I had never talked about our families much. I guess he doesn't really get along with his parents, because he almost never brings them up. And I never really asked him, because if he didn't talk about his then I would never have to talk about mine.

But planning a wedding brings up a lot of stuff, I guess.

In the end, Arthur reacted better to hearing about my parents than I had expected. Then again, I had braced myself for the absolute worst. It seemed like for months after the fire, anyone who even heard my last name was acting like they'd just met someone made of glass. 

So the fact that Arthur didn't immediately pull me into a hug and start giving me that "It'll be ok" nonsense was helpful. He was sad to hear it, of course, but then he almost immediately went back to talking about the rest of the guest list.

As if I needed one more reason to know I'd picked the right one.



In the end, we went with a compromise. We did end up renting out a venue, but we kept the guest list pretty tiny.

Arthur invited a few of his co-workers. I think it was his way to trying to make a good impression. He's up for a promotion soon-to a line cook.


Of course, I had even fewer people to invite. And out of those I did, only one showed up.


Sadie must have raved for 45 minutes straight about how great I looked in my dress, and how she'd never gotten invited to anyone's wedding before. (I can't imagine why...)

Still, I have to admit it was nice to have someone there that I knew.

I mean, as nice as it all was, this wasn't exactly how I imagined my wedding when I was a kid. I imagined being surrounded by friends and family, not neighbors I barely knew and my fiancé's co-workers I didn't know at all. I almost felt at times like I was crashing my own wedding.


Still, the ceremony was beautiful. I had my doubts about choosing a venue in the fishing district, but it turned out that the view of the water was amazing.








And, as it turned out, I did have more than one friend there. (And no, I don't mean that Delgato woman from down the street who decided to show up in a lab coat.)


As Arthur and I (reluctantly) pulled away from our kiss, I heard a voice whisper "Congratulations". 

It almost made me jump; Echo had actually been silent for the majority of the day. (I didn't know she had it in her.)

Still, hearing her congratulate me was actually kind of...nice. (I'm going to have to work harder at staying mad at her.)


The reception was...different. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves, but it was definitely way more casual than any wedding reception I'd ever been too.

Of course, the fact that the venue had a pool may have had something to do with that.

I guess it's not every wedding where half the guests are in formal attire and the other half in swimsuits.



It didn't matter, though. All I wanted was to get home to our own bed...in our own house...and finally start our own lives.

It was a good night.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: And Riley's married! See what I mean about Generation 1 moving fast? I know this wasn't exactly the most romantic Legacy wedding-but really it was hard to make it seem that way when Riley barely knew most of the guests and half of the reception looked like a pool party in their swimsuits. Hopefully future generations' weddings will be a bit more...wedding-y.

No comments:

Post a Comment