Generation 1: Chapter 3



Guess where I'm writing this from?

My desk!

A real desk, under a real roof, inside real walls!

It's been almost a full year since I got here. Can you believe it? And I'm just now getting a roof over my head.

And it's all thanks to Arthur.

It's been six months since he moved in. I tried to talk him out of it-I mean, who moves in somewhere where there's nowhere to move into? But he insisted. He's always been super into architecture, and when I told him I was building a house from scratch, well, I guess he just couldn't pass that up.

I just can't believe how many little things I took for granted before. Sleeping in a real bed, for instance.




Or having a real sink to wash my dishes in. (Eating from paper and plastic was getting really old. So was carrying them to the trash can at the edge of the street.)


Of course, it's primarily been my paintings that have been financing the whole thing. Arthur took a job down at a restaurant, but it barely brings in anything. (Is it weird to say I'm kind of glad he's just a dishwasher? Figures, right? The girl who can't stand to be near a stove ends up with a guy who wants to be a chef.) Anyway, that's why I don't really mind cranking out as many paintings as I can. 

I know I can't support us both forever, though. Arthur's got big plans for this place, and even if I become the most famous artist alive I don't think one income is ever going to be able to pay for it all. 

I envy that about him sometimes. How he can look ahead so far. He can look at our little house and see a giant mansion. And when he talks about it, I can almost see it too. (Even if I still have no idea what a spandrel is. But I can tell you that one day ours will be beautiful.)


In fact, things are going so well, even Echo hasn't been as annoying lately. 

Oh, she's still annoying. Don't get me wrong. But lately...I don't know. It's almost like it was before. Back when I was a kid, when she was just my Echo. I even caught myself laughing at one of her jokes the other day.


You know, maybe moving here wasn't such a mistake after all...ok, maybe I wouldn't go that far. But as far as mistakes go, this one hasn't turned out so bad...











--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




No comments:

Post a Comment