Generation 1: Chapter 5



Ok, well, I haven't needed to write in here for the longest time but...something happened last night that I need to get out. 

Man, I hate being so over-dramatic. I've heard that pregnancy does a number on your hormones but this is insane!


Oh, yeah. I guess I should start there. Arthur and I are expecting our first child. 

Arthur was thrilled when I told him, though he didn't really seem that surprised. (Truthfully, I wasn't either.)


I can already tell he's going to make a wonderful father. He's been doting on me like you wouldn't believe. If it weren't for the fact that my paintings are paying for the baby's nursery, he'd never let me on my feet. (Hopefully once the baby comes he'll lay of me for a bit!)


But the best reaction was Sadie's. She immediately exclaimed that she was going to be an aunt (I didn't have the heart to tell her...). And she also immediately offered to babysit.

Yeah, I'm not so sure about leaving Sadie in charge of an infant...


But...it hasn't all been great. 

I mean, I was ready for some of it. I was ready for the morning sickness and the weird food cravings and the backaches...

But I wasn't ready for the nightmares.



I thought I would be over these stupid nightmares by now. I mean, the fire was years ago at this point.   I hadn't even had any since I moved here! But once I got pregnant...man, they came back with a vengeance. Only now, I don't always see my parents...


Ever since Arthur came home with that burn on his arm from a grease splatter...I see him burning now too.








Luckily, I always seem to wake up before...you know. The dream ends....


Usually, I end up just sitting in bed waiting for Arthur to get home. But last night was different. I don't know why, but I just had to get out...


I ran to the far edge of the property, and just fell to the ground. And for a few minutes, being alone in the fresh air actually did help.

As if I could ever actually be alone.


I mean, she wants to help now? These damn nightmares her her fault! I mean, she's the Watcher. And if she had being doing her stupid job that night...



My parents would still be alive.



And of course, she tried to defend herself like she does every single time. Saying how she tried to have the fire put out, and how she could only do so much. But this time...I don't know if it was the lost sleep or the hormones or both, but I just lost it.

Only this time...she lost it too.

Of all the times I've screamed at the sky over the years, I've never heard the sky scream back until last night.

"Do you really think I wanted to see them die like that? Do you really think I wanted to do that to you? It was an accident, Riley..."

An accident. An accident. My parents burning to death in their own home was an accident to her.

That was the final straw. I told her that I was done with this, this whole...connection thing. And I never wanted to hear her talk to me or my family ever again.

She just sighed, and said "If that's what you want."

And that is what I want. 


I can already tell that being a mother is going to be hard enough. I don't need her making it worse.

I know this is the right thing.

Of course, I still haven't been able to get back to sleep since....and my stomach kind of hurts now, too...

It can't be time yet...can it?






--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Note: 
Yup, it's twins! One boy and one girl. Everybody say hello to Ira and Audrey Cohen!

And that (believe it or not) brings us to the beginning of Generation 2. I had initially thought this would take much longer to do, but Audrey's story actually took priority very quickly as I played, so we'll be seeing things from her perspective very soon.

First, though, I think it's time we heard Echo's side of the story. 



No comments:

Post a Comment